The Council of Education Ministers has resolved to suspend contact sports at all schools with immediate effect. The decision was taken in a virtual meeting on Wednesday morning.
According to a statement by the Education Department, non- contact sport training can continue in schools provided that all social distancing, hygiene and safety measures are observed and that there is no physical contact between participants during training.“All sporting activities have been suspended with immediate effect until the clusters outbreak is subsequently over with no further cases reported, including preparatory school sport,” the department said in statement.
The department said it was concerned with the number of Covid-19 outbreaks.
“During the last week of Term 1, school sports activity related Covid-19 outbreaks in Gauteng province were reported and have been gradually increasing in Term 2.
“Following the school sports-related Covid-19 outbreaks in Gauteng and general rise of cases in communities across the country, the Outbreak Response Team (ORT) said that the risk was high when engaged in close-contact sports, especially with people who did not live together.”
The department said it will continue to monitor the situation and a government gazette will be issued with the notice in the coming days.