GA-MARISHANE – Some of the pupils at Makgatsike Primary School in Ga-Marishane were admitted for medical attention after allegedly eating poisonous nuts from a tree known as Mokolobe last week.
It is reported that after sharing the Mokolobe tree nuts, the pupils started feeling unwell and had to be taken in for medical treatment.
Tidimalo Chuene, Limpopo Department of Education Spokesperson, said the department was aware of the incident.
Chuene said that the report they obtained from the school indicated that a number of learners started vomiting after arriving on the morning of 18 August.
She further said that it was reported that the affected learners ate some tree seeds on their way to school, which made them sick.
“A total of 39 learners were taken to Marishane Clinic and St Ritas Hospital on the day and 14 were admitted and discharged on 19 August,” said Chuene.
Chuene said as the department they were happy to report that all the affected learners were safely back at school.
“We applaud the swift action by the educators at the school and the local health workers in attending to the learners,” concluded Chuene.
The Limpopo Department of Health had not responded to the paper’s query on the matter which was sent on Tuesday at the time of going to press.