SEKHUKHUNE – As Tuesday, 18 August 2020, marked the first day of alert level 2 of the National State of Disaster, as announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa on Saturday, the political leadership in Sekhukhune district, was urged to intensify information dissemination against the spread COVID-19.
This was heard during Sekhukhune COVID-19 District Command Council’s virtual meeting which was chaired by Ephraim Mogale Local Municipality Mayor, Molaodi Mothogwane, in which it was informed that as of that day, the total COVID-19 cases in the district were 2195 with Fetakgomo Tubatse Local Municipality (FTLM) leading with 1061 cases.
The number of recoveries was standing at 2024, 92 percent while active cases remained 143, 67 percent and deaths standing at 28, 1.3 percent in the district.
The Acting DCC Chairperson, Mothogwane, said they were deeply motivated by the low number of active cases in the district.
Mothogwane remembered that the district registered its first COVID-19 case on 17 May 2020 in FTLM. He said they were motivated by the high number of recoveries.
“We reiterate the message by government that COVID-19 still exists. With many parts of the economy having been opened, the responsibility of combating coronavirus is now in our hands as individuals. Our call is that, please stay safe,” said Mothogwane.
The DDC heard from the provincial department of transport that all interprovincial roadblocks had been cancelled and that meant that people moving from province to province no longer required permits from their employers to travel.
The council was also briefed about awareness and monitoring measures from all sectors departments. Sekhukhune District Municipality reported on the emergency relief water intervention measures that are being rolled out throughout the district.