LIMPOPO- “I wish to say that the Province will be ready to move to Level 3 come the 1st of June. We will in due course announce which areas may remain Level 4 depending on the rate of infections.”
This were the words of Limpopo premier Stan Mathabatha earlier this week when asked if Limpopo was ready to move to lockdown level 3.
Mathabatha said the Provincial Covid-19 Command Council was concerned of the mining situation, of which Sekhukhune has become the new epicenter because of the high infection rate which almost doubled in one week.
“The Council has instructed that everybody who works in the mines must be screened and tested, and have compulsory quarantine, or the said mine plant should be closed with immediate effect.
“After our meeting with Minerals and Energy Minister, Gwede Mantatshe, the Mining houses and the Mining regulatory regime last Sunday, it became apparent that we have a lot of ground to cover if we want to save the lives of our people,” said the premier.
He said a technical team comprising the MECs for Health, LEDET, Public Works, Transport, Coghsta, Social Development Treasury, Education, the Director Generals, and respective HODs and the Minerals Department and the CEOs of Mining houses has been formed and meets every Thursday to map the way forward.
“We are concerned about Sekhukhune and have sent a high level medical team including the Cuban cadres to monitor the area closely.”