DENNILTON – Eight people have been arrested following the discovery of three bodies that were found burnt beyond recognition earlier this month in the Dennilton area outside Groblersdal.
The suspects, aged between 29 and 72 years-old, were arrested on 29 March 2020 at Mpheleleng and Naganeng villages after they were positively linked to the kidnapping, killing and burning of three people beyond recognition.
Colonel Moatshe Ngoepe, Limpopo Provincial Police Spokesperson, said the arrest of the suspects followed an incident where three bodies were found burnt beyond recognition on the March 15 this year at about 11:00 in bushes around Naganeg Village.
Ngoepe said police were informed by a passerby and immediately attended to the scene jointly with medical emergency services where upon arrival, three male bodies, burnt beyond recognition near a burnt out Hyundai truck were discovered.
According to Ngoepe it is suspected that the deceased were severely assaulted before they were burned as there were several stones found at the scene.
“Police have opened three counts of murder. The motive behind this brutal killing is still subject of ongoing police investigations but mob justice cannot be ruled out,” said Ngoepe.
The deceased were identified as Owen Ncube (31), Salos Sithole (23) and Lovemore Basera (20). Police investigations are still continuing and more arrests are expected.
The eight suspects appeared before Mdutjana Magistrates Court on Monday 30 March 2020 on charges of kidnapping and murder.
Time Sebotse (29), Bethuel Lentsoane (31), Thabo Maile (33), Jefrey Mashifane (38), Godfrey Phasha (41), Piet Mashabela (51), Solly Ramoshaba (55) and Sarah Selahle (72) were denied bail and their cases were postponed until 17 April 2020 for formal bail application and further police investigations.