The Groblersdal team recently embarked on a joint operation with the South African Police Service to eradicate illegal connections at Ga-Riba outside Burgersfort. The operation came after the village was identified as a hot spot for illegal connections in the Burgersfort sector. During the operation houses were disconnected, prepaid meter boxes were confiscated, some low-hanging cables were removed and other ones excavated.
Electricity theft takes place in many forms, but the most common ones are the following:
- Illegal connections of conductors
- Ghost vending or the selling of illegal electricity vouchers
- Meter tampering and bypassing
The disadvantages of illegal connections include:
- Loss of life
- Energy and revenue losses for Eskom
- Overloading on Eskom’s networks, which can result in more frequent blackouts.